The Richard R. Cook Endowment for the benefit of the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd
"To maintain the worship of God and the preaching of the gospel, according to the doctrine, discipline and worship of the Episcopal Church, and to promote the influence of the church in our neighborhood."
Compiled from the 1955 statement of organization and the 1956 petition for mission status.
In May of 1955, at the invitation of Bishop C. Avery Mason, three families agreed to undertake a new mission to serve the growing north Dallas area. More than sixty years later, the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd continues to grow and fulfill its mission to share the Gospel to its members and the surrounding neighborhood. In 1996, two families envisioned the creation of an endowment to encourage, receive, and manage planned giving to support the mission of the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd into the future. As tribute to Reverend Richard R. Cook, Rector of Good Shepherd from 1973 – 1990, the Cook Endowment for the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd was established to be a steward of these resources and to plan for the future of Good Shepherd. The endowment exists to carry out the Church’s religious and educational activities now and into the future. The original donors and vestry believed the establishment of a perpetual endowment fund would encourage others to make similar gifts and bequests.
Since its establishment with $54,000 in donations, the fund has grown to over $654,000 as of the end of 2017. In the last four years, the Endowment distributed over $60,000 which funded much-needed capital improvements and sponsored clergy education opportunities. We invite you to learn more about the Cook Endowment Fund and join us in planning for Good Shepherd’s centennial celebration and beyond.
For more information, contact Debra Pyke.